School History

In 1958, Hokkaido International School opened as Hokkaido American School. The school started with 12 children of missionary families. Our school fulfilled a need after the local U. S. Army Dependents School, closed.

In 1962, the school changed its name to Hokkaido International School. HIS moved to the new campus in Fukuzumi. Students selected a Husky as the school mascot. In 1965, the US helped to construct the school's gymnasium.

In 1968, the Hokkaido Government granted accreditation to the school. By the early 1970s, enrollment was up to 70 students. In 1982, the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) granted HIS accreditation. In 1988, the school added a high school program; enrolling one grade per year.

The school moved to its current location in the fall of 1995. During this time the school enrolled approximately 120 students. The new campus also included a dormitory to house 20 students.

In February 2012, the school opened its satellite school, HIS Niseko.

In 2018-19, HIS celebrated its 60th year of service, enrolling 170 international students.  We have a faculty of 28 from the United States, Canada, Australia, Bulgaria, Peru, and Japan.

Today the school HIS continues its mission to provide education for international students. We look to prepare students as future stewards of the ever-changing world.

HIS documentary film 2018