Thank you for considering Hokkaido International School as a place for your child's education. HIS Niseko is a unique school providing a distinctive educational opportunity in the Niseko area. For those seeking an international education in English at an accredited institution, HIS Niseko is the place for you. Our tuition and fees are significantly lower than similar schools in the larger cities of Japan, and we offer great opportunities for outdoor learning.
With HIS Sapporo only two hours away, the Sapporo dormitory provides an excellent option for Niseko families whose children graduate from the HIS Niseko School. Students can attend middle school and high school in Sapporo, staying in the dorm through the week and returning home on the weekends. At least one parent of students interested in staying in our dorm must visit the school and meet with administrators and dorm parents.
The forms presented below should also be completed (just click to open and print). For students over third grade, a writing sample is also required, which will be done on campus just prior to the interview.
HIS Niseko Admissions Documents (click to view and print)
Admissions Policy and Process
HIS is a school dedicated to serving the expatriate community of Sapporo and Hokkaido, as well as others pursuing a western-style education. Admission applications are reviewed by an Admissions Committee consisting of one or two members and chaired by the Niseko principal in consultation with the Head of School. This group will also make initial grade-placement decisions.
Priorities in admission are given to the following in order of preference:
- The children of expatriates from English-speaking countries
- The children of expatriates from other countries
- Japanese returnees (a returnee is defined as someone who has completed at least two years of a western-style education overseas)
- The children of Japanese parents who can demonstrate a compelling need for a western-style education
HIS Niseko, as a western-style educational school expects the parents to demonstrate the following:
- Take an active role in the life of the school (i.e. attend and take part in school and PTA activities)
- Be able to communicate with the teachers and staff in English and work with your child at home in your native tongue (i.e. encourage reading; help with homework, etc.)
- While HIS cannot admit students with profound learning difficulties, HIS may be able to accommodate students with mild special needs. Continued enrollment at HIS is always dependent upon a student’s satisfactory achievement, behavior, and effort.
- Complete an HIS Application Form, one per child. Assemble comprehensive school records, including current report cards and those from the previous two years of schooling plus standardized test scores (if applicable). Include medical and inoculation records. Proof of the student’s age must be included. Have the documents translated into English if possible.
- If a student is admitted, parents should arrange for immediate payment of tuition, application and entrance fee.
- Upon payment, students may begin attending classes at HIS.
To apply to HIS Niseko, please complete all relevant forms above and email as attachments to Victoria Spagnoli (firstname.lastname@example.org) and cc Liene Lase (email@example.com) and Tim Schlosser (firstname.lastname@example.org)
HIS Niseko Tuition and Fees
HIS Tuition and Fees are payable annually, however, tuition payment will be accepted on a quarterly basis for long-term/permanent residents of the Niseko region. 1st payment is due on Aug. 20th
preceding the school year. Invoices will be mailed in July. For students entering after Opening Day,
payment is due prior to enrollment.
For seasonal residents of Niseko, payment may be made, upon request, on a monthly basis.
School Fees 2023 - 2024
|Application Fee (one time only)||¥15,000 (payable at interview)|
|Entrance Fee (one time only)||¥200,000|
|Early Years||¥1,246,000||¥311,500 x 4|
|Kindergarten||¥1,372,000||¥343,500 x 4|
|Grades 1-5||¥1,372,000||¥343,500 x 4|
|Grades 6-8||¥1,476,000||¥369,000 x 4|
|Insurance / annual||¥5,500|
|Device management fee||¥15,000(Gr.K-5)|
Seasonal Students (part-time residents of Niseko area)
HIS Niseko offers short term schooling for seasonal residents of Niseko Area.
Seasonal resident Tuition Fee for Kindergarten and Elementary students is available to pay on a monthly basis. The fee is according to the enrolling month. Please contact the admission office for the monthly fee for each month.
Application as a Seasonal Resident requires the same paperwork and process as full-time students.
Age appropriate 2022-2023(Niseko)
|2022 - 2023|
|Grade applied for||Age cut off||Born between|
|EY3||3 by Aug 31st 2022||Sep 1st 2018 and Aug 31st 2019|
|EY4||4 by Aug 31st 2022||Sep 1st 2017 and Aug 31st 2018|
|Kindergarten||5 by Aug 31st 2022||Sep 1st 2016 and Aug 31st 2017|
|Grade 1||6 by Aug 31st 2022||Sep 1st 2015 and Aug 31st 2016|
|Grade 2||7 by Aug 31st 2022||Sep 1st 2014 and Aug 31st 2015|
|Grade 3||8 by Aug 31st 2022||Sep 1st 2013 and Aug 31st 2014|
|Grade 4||9 by Aug 31st 2022||Sep 1st 2012 and Aug 31st 2013|
|Grade 5||10 by Aug 31st 2022||Sep 1st 2011 and Aug 31st 2012|
|Grade 6||11 by Aug 31st 2022||Sep 1st 2010 and Aug 31st 2011|
|Grade 7||12 by Aug 31st 2022||Sep 1st 2009 and Aug 31st 2010|
|Grade 8||13 by Aug 31st 2022||Sep 1st 2008 and Aug 31st 2009|
|2022 - 2023|
|Grade applied for||受入年齢の区切り||誕生日|
|EY3||2022.8.31 までに満3歳||2018. 9.1 - 2019. 8.31|
|EY4||20228.31 までに満4歳||2017. 9.1 - 2018. 8.31|
|Kindergarten||2022.8.31 までに満5歳||2016. 9.1 - 2017. 8.31|
|Grade 1||2022.8.31 までに満6歳||2015. 9.1 - 2016. 8.31|
|Grade 2||2022.8.31 までに満7歳||2014. 9.1 - 2015. 8.31|
|Grade 3||2022.8.31 までに満8歳||2013. 9.1 - 2014. 8.31|
|Grade 4||2022.8.31 までに満9歳||2012. 9.1 - 2013. 8.31|
|Grade 5||2022.8.31 までに満10歳||2011. 9.1 - 2012. 8.31|
|Grade 6||2022.8.31 までに満11歳||2010. 9.1 - 2011. 8.31|
|Grade 7||2022.8.31 までに満12歳||2009. 9.1 - 2010. 8.31|
|Grade 8||2022.8.31 までに満13歳||2008. 9.1 - 2009. 8.31|